Southwest Bean and Peppers Salad
- One 15 or 16 oz can red kidney or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup picante sauce
- 1/4 cup bottled Italian salad dressing
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped cilantro (optional)
- Shredded or torn lettuce (optional)
Combine beans, red and green pepper, olives and onion in large bowl. Combine picante sauce and dressings; mix well. Toss with bean mixture. Chill, if desired. Just before serving, stir in avocado and, if desired, cilantro. Serve over lettuce, if desired, with additional picante sauce.
Makes 6 servings, about 4 cups salad.
Cajun Country -- New Iberia, Louisiana